Thursday 5 April 2012

Necromunda Spyrers, Nomads and Platformer set review

Hello all, Happy Thursday, S here and i'm on holidaaaay. A few things to show in today's post that may be of some interest. Not sure if I mentioned before but I bought this terrain set called Platformer construction set and I've been busy putting it together but more on that later.

First, Allan's projects. I decided to paint these Spyrers I have, to introduce into campaigns that i'm playing with S and George. With the background of the Spyrers being from the upper levels of the Hive and completely alien to the underhive and its inhabitants, I felt they should be painted to reflect the difference in wealth and status. At one end of the spectrum you have the Nomads who live outside of the hive, scavanging, robbing convoys and looking very grungy. I felt the natural way to go with the Spyrers was to be bold coloured, affluent looking and shiney.


This guy is a Malcadon as is the blue guy. They both have claws and webspinners and can move at a alarming speed. In a campaign the Spyrers can choose different winning conditions, one of which is that they have to kill as many people as there are members of their own gang before they can return to the lofty luxury of the Spyre. Sounds kind of easy but with so few members the odds are evened, maybe even against them and death of a Spyrer can not be compensated by buying other members.


 The guy below is a Orrus equipt with bolt launchers and powerful fists.

I know I have blogged to death about the Nomads but I find them so interesting. I found a cheap way of making them because as you all know they have been discontinued for quite some time. With a box of Cadian guardsmen, I chop off the head and replace it with the Maximini resin gas mask head I bought in Ebay and then make a hooded cloak out of green stuff. Here is a freshly converted and base coated guy.


Here is another fully painted one. He is holding an Imperial Guard Lasgun which some may find a bit unconventional but I believe my Nomads rob enough PDF convoys to have aquired some lol



Platformer review
S here again :) I'm going to post a little review of this construction set I bought online. I found a lot of images of really cool looking terrain made using this set, so many that it had me phoning up every gaming shop I could find to see if they had any. Due to some stupid issues between manufacturers there are not many around. I bought the last 3 boxes from one shop somewhere in Northern England and to be honest they have been sitting under my bed for sometime after a shocking surprise at the level of work that goes into constructing them. Conquering this constuction set makes me feel ridiculously accomplished like I should be getting some minor award in engineering or construction......I feel like I could add this to my CV haha anyways a few Ps and Cs

Cons:
-Comes in a LOT of bits.
-Requires a lot of patience.
-Requires a lot of mundane tidying with plastic cutters once taken off of sprue.
-You WILL need the instruction manual (which I hate).
-The plastic is a bit brittle you will need to be more slightly gentle than with GW terrain.
-generally fiddly

Pros:
-Is to 28mm model scale.
-Once you figure out how to use the different connectors, the possibilities of shape and size are only limited to the bits you have.What I mean is that you can make multi level sturctures with as much or little cover, with as many nooks and crannies and corners to hide around as you want.
-Most (like 90%) of the pieces click together to provide very sturdy hold without glue, you will occasionally find a piece that will click together but not as firmly as others.
- It's Cheap as chips, each box cost me 6.95.
-Unlike some terrain sets that are made to build one stucture unless you have the imagination and skills to convert,  the platformer set has no boundries you could use 50 boxes to make enough terrain for a whole gaming board

Here is a little preview, this piece I am making is nooooo where near complete. Do you like my organisation of the bits?






2 comments:

  1. That first malcadon is probably my favourite spyrer mini and I've never seen it looking as good as it does in that scheme. Smooth. Very useful review of that terrain too. I've never taken the plunge, but I see it used all over the place and it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate ! yes I agree its definately my favourite too .. it looks even better now i've added some gloss to the lenses and the flash didnt help much lol Keep an eye out for a bat rep including the spyrers and and the new terrain :)

    ReplyDelete